Philippine’s public transport can become scarce and in order to explore the country, many tourists decide to arrange their driving permits and rent their own vehicles during their holiday in the Philippines. But, you may be wondering whether you can use your foreign driver’s license in the Philippines. This is to avoid unexpected charges or delays due to not having the correct documents.
Here’s what foreigners need to know in order to drive lawfully in the Philippines:
- You can drive with a foreign driver’s license in the Philippines for up to 90 days BUT if you plan to stay in the country for longer than 90 days and drive a vehicle, you will not only need to obtain the appropriate long-term Philippine visa according to the Philippine visa policy, but you will also need to get a driving permit from the LTO.
- You can convert your foreign driver’s license into a local one at the Land Transportation Office (LTO)
- You can obtain a Philippine driver’s license from the LTO
NOTE: Vehicles in the Philippines drive on the right side of the road, i.e. cars have the steering wheel on the left-hand side.
- Duly Accomplished Application for Driver’s License (ADL). You can which you can download here or on the spot at the LTO center.
- If you are employed, present your Taxpayer’s Identification Number (TIN) in compliance with Executive Order 98 & MC ACL-2009-1251.
Can I Use My Driving License in the Philippines?
How to Get a Driver’s License in the Philippines
How to Get an International Driver’s License in the Philippines